Fund for Education Abroad Scholarships
Website: Fund for Education Abroad Scholarships
- Jennifer Lewis, Senior Director of Off-Campus Programs
- Julie Whalen, Global Programs Coordinator
- Roger Adkins, Executive Director of Global Education
One online application leads to many opportunities! The FEA Scholarships program is an “umbrella” program that allows you to apply for a few dozen different scholarships that support international off-campus study – all in one application. In addition to general FEA scholarships, this process also includes targeted scholarships that support study abroad for LGBTQ+ students, students planning to study in Vietnam, and students joining USAC programs, among others (these are just examples).
Who May Apply
To be eligible for an FEA scholarship, you must be:
- U.S. citizen or permanent resident
- Currently enrolled as an undergraduate at a college or university in the U.S. (graduate students are not eligible)
- Study abroad program must be eligible for credit at the student’s home institution
- Study abroad program must be at least 4 weeks (28 days) in country/countries
- Not open to international students or DACAmented students
- Study or internship program must be credit-bearing at Earlham
- Experience must include at least 4 weeks (28 days) in one or more countries outside of the U.S.; domestic programs are not supported
Award Description and Duration
Awards range up to $10,000 for students in semester-length and academic-year programs. Duration is 28 days to a full academic year.
Application Requirements and Deadline
Applications are accepted in two cycles each year:
- A deadline in the fall, usually in September, for winter break and programs
- A deadline in the spring, usually in January, for summer, fall, and academic-year programs
The application is completed in an online applicant system. Applicants must upload an unofficial transcript plus download, complete with the Financial Aid office, and re-upload a financial aid form. In addition, one recommendation is required, and it is requested through the online application system, which emails the person selected.
Note that the campus contacts listed above are happy to read drafts of FEA essays and give feedback.
Winners are announced in October or November for the September deadline and in February or March for the January deadline.