Frederick Douglass Global Fellowship
Website: Frederick Douglass Global Fellowship
Campus Contact: Roger Adkins, Executive Director of Global Education
The program explores the impact that effective leaders have had on social justice movements and critical peace and conflict resolution efforts around the world.
Frederick Douglass Global Fellows will explore conflict and injustice from various perspectives and the leaders who sought to affect positive change for their communities and their countries. Fellows will return to America with new perspectives on how effective leaders influence positive social change and inspired to be the catalyst for positive change in their communities and in our world.
The Fellowship honors the legacy of the abolitionist and statesman who himself traveled abroad in 1845 and experienced first-hand efforts to overcome religious injustice, gender injustice and racial injustice. He returned to America in 1847 transformed and inspired to agitate for positive social change.
This Fellowship is a fully funded summer study abroad program designed for students of color as part of CIEE’s commitment to open doors for all students from all backgrounds.
Who May Apply
- Be a current undergraduate first-year student, sophomore, or junior
- Have a minimum GPA of 3.00
- Be a U.S. citizen, U.S. national, or U.S. permanent resident
- Identify as an ethnicity typically underrepresented on study abroad programs (e.g. American Indian/Alaska Native, Asian, Black/African American, Hispanic/Latino or Native Hawaiian/Other Pacific Islander).
- Not open to international students or DACAmented students
- Not open to students with GPAs under 3.00
- Not open to graduating seniors
- Not open to students who do not identify with one of the ethnicity identities listed above
Award Description and Duration
- Award will cover the full cost of travel to and from participation in a four-week, 3-credit study abroad program sponsored by CIEE.
- Sixteen (16) will be selected.
- Fellows are expected to present and share their study abroad experience with their campus community upon their return to campus.
Application Requirements and Deadline
The application deadline for summer 2022 was in February.
Items below should be submitted through the online application.
- Letter of recommendation (preferably from an administrator or faculty member at your school, but other recommenders are acceptable)
- Copy of most recent transcript
- Personal video