Student Employment FAQs

Frequently Asked Questions

  • Where do I go if I have questions about student employment?

    Student Employment at Earlham is managed by three different departments: Human Resources, the Office of Financial Aid, and the Business Office.

    If you have questions about:
    • Finding, posting, and/or applying for student employment positions: Contact Kim Evans in Human
    • Student payroll or tax paperwork: Contact Pat Houser in Payroll.
    • Work study/Work award amount: Visit Financial Aid on the second floor of Tyler Hall.

  • What do I need in order to apply for student employment jobs?

    To apply for student jobs, you will first need a resume. If you need help creating a resume, you can schedule an appointment with a Career Coach in Handshake. Before you can begin working on campus, you must complete your tax paperwork. In order to complete your tax paperwork, you will need to present original copies of identification (such as a passport). To learn more about what you will need to bring to campus, visit the Forms section on the main Student Employment page.

    Please note: you may begin applying for jobs in Handshake prior to completing your tax paperwork; you just need to finish your paperwork before your first day of work.

  • Who is eligible to work as a student employee?

    Most students are eligible to work; however, students with no Work-Study or Work Award in their financial aid package must take “Non Award” positions and may work up to an average of 10 hours a week. If you do not know your financial aid status, contact the Financial Aid Office. New student employees may not begin work for Earlham until they have been hired and have completed the necessary employment documents (see Forms) including the I-9, W-4, WH-4, Confidentiality Statement and Direct Deposit form. Students must know their Social Security number to complete the forms. Identification that is original and unexpired is required for the I-9 form. Photocopied and scanned copies are not acceptable for identification.

    There are a variety of student employment opportunities at Earlham. Some jobs may require Work-Study status, but others are open to all students. Check the individual job postings in Handshake for eligibility requirements.

  • What is Federal Work-Study?

    Domestic students who are financially eligible may receive Federal College Work-Study or another work award as part of their financial aid award. Work-Study benefits students by helping them to gain real-life work experience as they expand their career network and skills. Work-Study jobs are not positions that allow time for homework or study. “Work-Study” is simply the name of the federal program that funds these positions for students.

    The amount of a Work-Study allocation reflects an earnings cap and is not a guarantee that a student will receive the full amount of the allocation. Students will receive funding for up to 10hrs of work per week. To utilize Work-Study, recipients must secure a position and complete their tax forms. Once students start working, they must submit a bi-weekly timesheet to the Student Payroll Office in Carpenter Hall basement in order to get their work-study funds paid for the hours they worked. The timesheet should be signed by the student and supervisor.

    If you have been awarded Work-Study, make sure you:

    • Know your Work-Study amount and hours per week.
    • Complete tax forms in the Student Payroll Office in the basement of Carpenter Hall.
    • Use Handshake to find on- and off-campus Work-Study positions.
    • Apply and interview for positions! Career Coaches in the CCE can help you prepare.

  • What are the expectations of a student employment job?

    As in any job, student employees should be prepared to show up for work on time, dress appropriately and have good hygiene, and communicate with their supervisors if they will not be able to come to work. Other expectations should be discussed between the student employee and the supervisor. Other things to know as a student employee:

    • You will accrue no vacation, holiday, or sick days.
    • If you get hurt on the job, please contact Human Resources immediately.

  • Where can I find the policies for student employees?

    Workplace policies are outlined in the Student Employment Handbook for Employees and Supervisors. Students and employers are expected to be familiar with the policies and standards set out in the handbook. The Handbook is available on The Heart, in Moodle – Student Employment in the Toolkits.
  • Are all student employment positions on campus?

    A unique experience available to Earlham students is the ability to fulfill Work-Study awards at work sites off campus. A variety of community partners (often service-oriented non-profit organizations) offer students opportunities to work at their sites and contribute to bettering the Richmond/Wayne County community. To find these opportunities, search for Student Employment jobs in Handshake.
  • Is transportation available to and from off-campus student employment sites?

    Transportation may be available for students working in federal work-study community-based positions at non-profit organizations. Contact the Office of Community Engagement for information.
  • How many hours can students work?

    We request all students to work, on average, ten hours per week on campus. (Even if you have multiple jobs, your total hours for all jobs should not exceed an average of 10 hours per week.) For those students with Federal College Work-Study or Work Award as a part of their financial aid package (sent in writing with the students’ acceptance letter), they are eligible, but not required, to work up to the limit of their financial aid award. If you have questions about this or your work-study award, contact Financial Aid. Non-Award students may work up to an average of 10 hours a week during the academic terms.
  • How do student employees get paid?

    The pay rate for hourly pay positions is $9.00 an hour. Student employees are paid bi-weekly. In order for students to be paid, employers must let Human Resources (HR) know that the student employee has been hired. First-time Earlham College employees must submit the required forms and have the required original, unexpired identification. Employees’ time worked must be recorded and submitted to their supervisor for approval by the end of the pay period.

    When completing your tax paperwork, you should also complete a Direct Deposit form. This form allows Earlham to deposit your paycheck directly into your bank account.

    Money earned through Student Employment is not automatically applied to a student’s outstanding balance for tuition and fees. If you would like to apply some or all of your paycheck to your tuition bill, you will need to log on to the Student Account Center to make a payment.

  • I applied for a job and never heard back. What next?

    Make sure you apply for multiple student employment jobs, and keep applying until you are hired into a position. If you have not heard back from a job you applied for and want to know about your status, you can double-check in Handshake. In Handshake, view your Applications, which can be found under the Jobs section. There, you will see that each application is marked as either “Pending,” “Declined,” or “Hired.” If your application still says “Pending,” it means the employer has not yet marked you as either “Declined” or “Hired.” In that case, check the deadline for the position. Some employers do not look at any application until the deadline has passed and might indicate that in the job description. Otherwise you can also email the contact person for that particular job and politely ask about their timeline for hiring the position. (Make sure to emphasize your interest in the job!) You can find the contact information for the employer in the job description.
  • When can I start?

    Students who receive work-study or work award must have completed their tax paperwork with the Human Resources Office in Carpenter Hall before beginning their job. They may start working on the first day of class each semester and not prior to that day.
  • What should I know if I’m an international student on a Visa?

    International students have to adhere to some additional guidelines attached to their visa status. For more information, check out the Employment Information for International Students page. If you have additional questions, please reach out to your International Student Advisor.

Making your on-campus job work for you

Working on campus is a fantastic opportunity to get some professional experience and build your resume. You don’t need to commute anywhere to get to your job, making it easier to juggle your employment with academic and extracurricular obligations. It’s …

By Lea Staedtler
Lea Staedtler Associate Director of Career Education and Student Employment
Read more

International Students and Off-Campus Employment Options

International students who are on F-1 visas have some very specific rules related to any sort of employment they might thing about pursuing. The flow chart attempts to demonstrate the process by which an international student advisor would use to …

By Candice Quiñones
Candice Quiñones Director of International Student and Scholar Services
Read more



All student employees are paid bi-weekly via direct deposit. Student employment jobs at Earlham pay $9.00 an hour for up …

Working on campus is a great way for international students to make connections on campus and gain an insight into …

Once you have been hired for your first campus job, you need to complete paperwork before you can begin working. …

Contact & Location

(765) 983-1424

1st Floor Landrum Bolling Center
801 National Rd W
Richmond, IN 47374
Richmond, IN 47374

Office Hours

Monday 8:30am - 12pm; 1pm-5pm
Tuesday 8:30am - 12pm; 1pm-5pm
Wednesday 8:30am - 12pm; 1pm-5pm
Thursday 8:30am - 12pm; 1pm-5pm
Friday 8:30am - 12pm; 1pm-5pm